Transgender activist Diego Sanchez has been appointed to the position of legislative assistant to Congressman Barney Frank in Washington, D.C. The top priority among his responsibilities will be to serve as the congressman's point person on LGBT rights, but he will also advise Frank on a range of issues relating to healthcare, veterans, labor and the U.S. Census. Sanchez will be the first openly transgender person to work in a congressional office in Washington.
It is about time. Curious to see how much of his advice they take, but this makes me feel slightly better after all the losses for queer rights in this last election.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is great! What an awesome and positive thing to happen for others who are in the same situation. I think is really important that people in the LGBT community have someone within their community to look up to, not to say that could not look up to someone who was not in their community. I think this is a great step forward and I hope this is just the first of many others who will be in the public eye.
ReplyDeleteDebbie,
ReplyDeleteThat's really awesome to hear! Yay Congressman Frank for actually taking into account an insider's perspective from the LGBT community to help him form educated and informed opinions and laws. I think this is important for the country to see, as well as the LBGT and Congress communities. It shows that at least some positive progress is happening.